Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

  1. #1
    Inactive Member marchinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    I recently aquired a pair of these from my father, can anyone tell me how good they are compared to other Altec speakers? are these VOT's? they are in excellent condition, and work well, but I cannot find any info on this model on the web. lot's of info about other models, but nothing on these. Are these considered 'crummy' Altec's? any help would be appreciated, someone out there:thankU: must know something about these. I have already been on E-bay, and many sites claiming to have knowledge about Altec's, but no one covers this model, very frustrating. I figure they are either rare and killer, or one of the worst they made, no in between, LOL.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    Quote Originally Posted by marchinski View Post
    ...I cannot find any info on this model on the web...
    That's because it isn't a system model number. It's the part number of the crossover.

    Pictures would help us ID them, or the part numbers of all the components with a descrition and dimensions of the cabinets.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member marchinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    oh jeeez, ok. it says 'model number' on the back so I assumed it was, well, the model number! looks like we're going to pull some screws and break out the measuring tape. I appreciate the response, I am quite curious to see if they are considered junk or treasure. they seem nice, and since I am a guitar player, how they sound won't matter much since I'm deaf now. The price was right, it's hard to beat 'free'.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    Whether they're considered junk or treasure will depend on who you ask. They're most likely MI/PA systems with 807 or 808 Symbiotik HF drivers and 421 or 423 LF drivers. If so, the non-musical HIFI crowd will call them junk, but they're really pretty good when used as they're intended, something a self-proclaimed deaf guitarist should appreciate.

    (just had to get that in before they start raining on your parade...)
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member marchinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    they have the dimensions of the 9846-8A, except they have feet, made from the same wood laminated plywood, they look like them too, no ports, single 12: and a big horn, wood cabinet, but it clearly says model: N809-8A. I'll get pics posted later today, and pull the back for component numbers.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member marchinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    You are correct sir, 808-RA (maybe it's PA, but I'm blind as well as deaf) HF drivers, and 421-8H series II LF drivers. serial #16397 on the one I opened. does this have a model number then? other than what it says is the model number? I take it these are for PA use? not for the audiophile or his home system?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member marchinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    And they are obviously 15 inch drivers, not 12 inch as I mentioned in a previous post. so, what do people do? build A7 cabs and use these HF drivers with different LF drivers to get the holy grail or something? pardon my ignorance, if we were talking Marshall or fender amps, I would be the genius, LOL

  8. #8
    Inactive Member marchinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    Hey bfish, if PA is public address, what is MI/PA as you posted stand for? I'm not smart, but I could lift a lot.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member marchinski's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 8th, 2010
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    And just out of curiosity, what do these usually sell for? they're gonna go in my rehearsal room, but I wantd to know, thanks
    "I like it loud, what's it to ya?"

  10. #10
    HB Super Moderator
    Altec N-809-8A speakers ????


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-809-8A speakers ????

    Quote Originally Posted by marchinski View Post
    Hey bfish, if PA is public address, what is MI/PA as you posted stand for? I'm not smart, but I could lift a lot.
    Welcome to the board :welcome: MI = Musical Instrument speaker the 809-8A is the model of the crossover as Bfish said,they should have 2 - 1/4" jacks on the front of the crossover. Regards !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.